Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sit Down! Okay. Take a load off! Sure.

Day 8:

I have to admit... I have not really blogged this past week, so this post will serve as a compilation of a weeks worth of saying "yes".

This past week marked the end of my summer-long internship and the beginning of new adventures. Last Friday was my last day of work. I was fortunate enough to begin my internship on a high note with it beginning on the second day of our company's olympics! I spent theweeks following olympics working Monday-Thursday with Fridays as half days. We would work until 3:30 PM on Friday and then spend the rest of the work day playing Wii as an extension of company olympics. For any professionals out there reading this, tournaments once a week are a definite necessity if you are looking for a more cheerful and productive work environment. It's true... All work and no play DOES make Jack (or any working professional) a dull boy (or girl...) I also ended my internship on a high note by conveniently scheduling my last day for the same day that Lee's Denim Day was. The day was jam-packed with a bake off, tons of sweets, people wearing denim, and a record long game of Palace Asshole (an original game made by my co-workers and I and probably the best card game out there!)

The end of my last day of work was marked by a showering of gifts and hugs from my co-workers. It's so amazing to leave a place knowing that you were appreciated and will be missed. I will definitely miss everyone there! I was able to go out with some of my work friends at the end of the day. It's always fun to see the other, non-working side of people and Friday night allowed me to do just that! The rest of the weekend felt like any other weekend, but was mingled with the usual amount of craziness that I enjoy on my days off. I spent one of the days helping my friend Sarah move into her new swanky apartment along with my friend Lauren. Saying "yes" to helping out a friend is always a rewarding experience... especially when it gets mixed with a trip to Stew Leonard's, the world's largest dairy store. They always have the best samples. I enjoyed my fair share of sweet potatoe chips and a double serving of fresh mozzerella cheese (not together, don't worry!)

Sarah and Lauren moving stuff into Sarah's new pad:

Some lady told Sarah and I that this cauliflower would taste like cheddar cheese. I might have believed her for a second... might have meaning that I totally did.

Making the Chiquita Banana lady dance is really the top reason why I come to Stew Leonard's.

Monday marked the beginning of my saying "Yes!" to taking time to relax and enjoy being home as a college graduate. I did have a few weeks before I started my summer internship this past June, but I haven't been home during the fall for a long period time since my senior year of high school. Seeing the leaves change back home and witnessing my family's first fireplace lighting of the season is definitely worth the week off from a paid career. Besides, who knows when I'll have time like this that is flexible and free and open-ended again?

This past week has been included a lot of my saying "yes" to a lot of little things. Friday night I said yes to hanging out with my friends from work outside of work, something that I hadn't had the chance to do previously. Yesterday I said "yes" to exercise... something that I, sadly, have not done in quite a while. I went for a wonderful walk at the beach by my house and flexed my artistic muscle by taking pictures of anything and everything that inspired me along the way. Today is just unfolding. So far I have said "yes" to taking the first step towards writing my ever-looming children's book. Writing a children's book has been something that has been on my mind since the seventh grade when I wrote one for my English class. I wrote another in eigth grade and a third in high school. (You can see the cover art for it here.) Since high school I have had a growing number of ideas for children's books dancing around my mind. Now is the perfect time to seize one of them, nail it down, and make it the best that it can be. I've started reading a few of those "Dummy's Guide for Idiot's On Writing Children's Literature If You're Stupid" books. I'm enjoying them so far and take no offense to their blatant jabs at my intelligence. Hey, I really am pretty unknowledgable when it comes to the subject, so why not admit it by reading a book with a title that says just that?!

Here are some of the photos I took on my beach walk:



Right now I'm at the library preparing to study up on some of the more successful children's books that are currently out there. I'll let you know how it goes in my next (not a week later) blog post.

No comments: