Friday, October 31, 2008

It's Been a While...

Day ?:

Sorry for not posting for a while! This past week and I have I was on a road trip with two of my good friends. We traveled from the Northeast to the Midwest and back. You can read all about our trip on our team blog here: What Now Wanderers

During the trip, the three of us marveled at how long it felt like we were on the road and now that the trip is over, I am having a hard time accepting that all the planning, driving, and fun is behind us! We traveled on a grant given to us through PBS' Roadtrip Nation and the goal of our trip was to interview people about their different paths in life. We were able to sit down with a number of people who interested, inspired, and taught us and to ask them questions, on camera, about their stories. Our interviews range from talking to street performers in Nashville, TN to Chris Johns, the Editor in Chief of National Geographic. It was an amazing trip. I will never forget the experience and what it has taught me.

I was able to make a dream a reality with this road trip. Last February I had a desire to travel and interview "experts" in certain fields, but did not have the funding to do so. I was led (by something bigger than myself, I believe) to the Roadtrip Nation website where I applied for a grant and now here I sit on the other side of everything complete and utterly amazed by the experiences before and during this trip. I am still processing everything that I have learned on the road from my fellow road-trippers, from the people that we were able to interview, and from our time on the road. For whatever reason, the world just seems clearer while driving on roads that lead to endless miles of corn fields.

I was able to investigate some interests that I have while on the trip, such as the greeting card industry and the world of video production by spending time interviewing writers at Hallmark Cards and two internet comedians via iChat. I may still not know exactly what my passion is, but I do know that I love the feeling of freedom I had while on the road. I loved meeting the people who we interviewed and hearing their stories. I loved seeing what life was like in new places. I loved being able to document my entire experience on video. I want to chase after how I felt while on the road. I will find a way to live my life at the level of excitement that this trip has given me.

No comments: